Do Skunks bite?
Not very often and only if handled or in a tight space. If they are in an open area with room to run away and feel threatened they will spray a foul liquid that is very strong and long lasting.
Are Skunks Dangerous?
Skunks can carry Rabies so you and pets need to avoid getting a bite or scratch. The Skunk Spray can also be quite a shock to the system.
What are the signs of me having Skunks?
If Skunks are on your property you will notice signs of them foraging and digging through your garbage, garden, and if pets are fed outside, you may spot them eating their food. Skunks like to Burrow so you may see signs of digging underneath decks, sheds and other structures. If they find their way inside your home you will hear scratching and digging sound from in your attic or behind your walls.
How can I rid my house of Skunks?
The best way is to use a Live Animal Trap. Unfortunately these Cage Traps do not stop a Skunk from spraying, although Skunks won't in an enclosed area since they don't like the odor either.
How did I get Skunks?
Skunks are opportunistic and will use a space under a shed and other areas in your yard as a nesting place. There may also be a food source close and since their food habits are quite diverse this could be a large number of things.
Skunk Control Tips for your home
- Eliminate all possible food sources. Secure exterior trash cans and do not leave pet food outside
- Install motion sensor lights.
- Screen of gaps that allow access under sheds. Use a heavy guage galvanized Hardware cloth. To discourage digging bury the screen about a foot down.
- Tomato juice and other home remedies will not take away the odor of skunk spray. At best it can wash off the oily spray to at least reduce the smell. This is only the first step, only time will totally eliminate the odor. Open your pores and work out, sweat, shower repeat.
- For a home remedy that will help reduce skunk spray odor on animals, people and some surfaces try a Mix of :1 quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap(for the oils) Dawn is the best.
- Skunks need their rear end facing you with their tail up to spray. If you encounter a skunk it will most likely run from you. To avoid getting sprayed you need to run to the side, not directly away or it will get your back.
- A box trap might be better than a cage trap for you. Or even better yet, just call Rob.